EndSARS : Delta SARS Victim Is Alive,He Wasn’t Shot – Keyamo Says
The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Barr. Festus Keyamo, has said that operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) were not responsible for the shooting of a young man in Ughelli, Delta State.
Keyamo made the revelation in a statement forwarded found by THEAFRICANMEDIA on Sunday, while adding his voice in condemning the recurring brutality and extra-judicial killing by SARS operatives against defenseless citizens.
The minister said those responsible for Saturday’s shooting are known as “Operation Delta Safe” and not SARS. This was as he also revealed that the victim was alive and currently receiving treatment at the hospital.
Keyamo said he already spoke with the victim’s brother, the Commissioner of Police in Delta and the Area Commander in Ughelli, where he said he was born, bred and raised.
While condemning the extra-judicial killings by SARS and other Police outfits against defenseless citizens, Keyamo called for comprehensive reforms and overhaul of the system.
On the incident that occurred in Ughelli, the minister said “the victim was not shot as confirmed by his brother, but fell out of the Police vehicle when being taken to the station after arrest.”
“The brother said he was pushed; the Police said he jumped,” Keyamo added.
“The Police stopped to pick him up after the fall, but an angry mob had already gathered and the Police fled and left the victim.”
He added that “a good Samaritan picked him and took him to hospital.”
Keyamo, however, appealed to the youths in Ughelli not to resort to violence and/or destruction of lives and properties.
“I am on top of this matter and though the victim is alive, I will be urging the authorities to still investigate the conduct of the Police in this matter,” he assured.